Google
 

April 18, 2010

Kadgye Sukke




I'm rediscovering traditional cooking. I shied away from traditional cooking for a long time because I wanted to break away from the ordinary. After years of having broken away, it appears as though traditional food is the change I need from my routine.


And I'm also rediscovering sukke, as it turns out. I can't seem to have enough of this preparation. While I tried it with different vegetables earlier, I made it this time around with just one vegetable: raw jackfruit. I think this is the best type of sukke I have eaten and that sukke is the best way to eat raw jackfruit. I know I will make this often.


1/4 kg Raw Jackfruit, peeled
1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds


1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Oil
1/4 cup Coconut
3-4 Red Chillies
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1/4 tsp Turmeric
Salt to taste




For the tempering:


1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
7-8 Curry Leaves




Cut the jackfruit into pieces slightly large pieces. Pressure cook with a little salt for 1-2 whistles.




Heat the oil and fry the fenugreek seeds and the coriander seeds for a minute. Grind this along with the turmeric, tamarind, coconut and red chillies to a somewhat fine paste. Add this paste to the cooked vegetables and add salt to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes.


Heat the teaspoon of oil for the tempering in a frying ladle. Add the mustard and the asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Add this tempering to the vegetable mixture. Serve hot with rice and dali-saar.

19 comments:

Ms.Chitchat said...

Lovely jackfruit sabji,bookmarked.

sangeeta said...

oh i love traditional cooking and that too from all the states of India .....this jackfruit sukke looks like a stew i make but ingredients are all different......must be yummy.

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

come summer and Jackfruits are something I crave every day. this is a new dish to me and would love to try this our. looks lovely. Raaga.

Unknown said...

Raaga, this is a new recipe of raw jackfruit for me. I bookmarked it. Next time, I am making jackfruit, this is what I will make. Thanks for sharing.

Nithu Bala said...

Wow! yummy recipe..

Pari Vasisht said...

hey, I also make jackfuit with fenugreek but that's a very spicy version and only S is able to eat it. Love this version will try and let u know.
I made the cabbage thuvayal and loved it dear. Many thanks for it, I guess I will love to become a Thuvayal queen too.

Cynthia said...

This makes me think of katahar (breadnut) curry! Which I LOVE!

Parita said...

I got to try jackfruit curry, it looks very tempting!

Aps Kitchen said...

Ahhh!!! Kadgi is such a declicacy tht it can be accepted in ne form for me .... We never did sukke of kadgi..... must try ones though :)
luks gr8

Soma Pradhan said...

The raw jackfruit curry looks yummy dear

Swapna said...

This preparation is new to me... there was a time when i used to be fed up of jackfruits...!!! now just the mention of it makes my mouth water....

Maddog Salamander said...

I have never heard of jackfruit...no neither in Colorado nor in the Dominican Republic. Of course it may have another name over here (maybe Spanish.) I will have to do some research. I am intrigued by the recipe, and I really want to try it. Thanks for sharing (man...I LOVE the internet!)

The Housewife said...

Hi Raga! Have you ever tried raw jackfruit biryani? It's a specialty by nellore cooks. It's amazingly flavorful. Btw I love your blog :)

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

looks great.. do drop in at my site whenever.. following you..

Raaga said...

Thanks everyone. Now that raw jackfruit is in season, I hope you try it out.

The Housewife: I have eaten the north Indian Jackfruit Biryani, which I plan to try. But I haven't had the Nellore version. Shall hunt.

Went to your blog... couldn't comment though.

The Housewife said...

Hi Raaga (like your name a lot btw! It's in the running as a name for my to be born soon child!)

The comment section is up and running again at my blog. Look out for some good eats! :D

Joe Luzzi said...

You have the most legit recipes on here. EVERYTHING looks so good

FH said...

YUMMMMMYYY!!! I will make this too, I have canned raw JF. Looks delicious. LOVED your Matar chaat, so tasty. Thanks again.

I haven't baked or made any sweets for a long time, must make some. Daughter will be home tomorrow night, 1st year college is over so soon, cant believe it!:)

Glad my blog is fixed too, happened 2 weeks ago but I took my time posting, I hate this Spring allergy I have.

Happy Mother's day to your mom, make her feel special on Sunday! :)

Miri said...

My latest post is about preserving traditional recipes, not only because of the culture attached but also because of some more reasons...

Thanks for the recipe for sukke!