Google
 

March 24, 2010

Cabbage Thuvayal




Amma calls me the "Thogayal queen". Whenever I cook a south Indian meal (Konkani, Tamil or Telugu) I try and make it a point to make a thuvayal. It serves many purposes:


  • There's one more vegetable dish

  • Mix it with rice and you've got one entire course

  • It removes the need for a pickle with curd rice

  • It makes for a good bread spread/side for idli and dosa, so the next morning's breakfast issue is solved

  • It gives S the feeling of a somewhat "complete" meal

  • I get another dish to blog about


I have a lot of processed vegetables in the fridge and freezer and these come in very handy when I'm putting meals together on weeknights. And I have been known to make thuvayal/thogayal with just about any. I am putting this up thanks to a lot of pressure from folks at work who can't seem to get enough of this. (K, this post is especially for you. I do hope you find it useful.)


There's another version of this at Talimpu and Nandita blogged about her adaptation of that recently. Mine is slightly different. In fact, all my thuvayal recipes are very very similar. Replace the vegetable in any recipe and it yields a completely new dish. Someday, I shall blog about my family favourite "Thengai Thogayal". Until then, we shall focus on 5-a-day!


1 cup Cabbage, chopped


2 tsp Oil

3-4 Red Chillies

2 tsp Urad Dal

1/2 tbsp Tamarind paste

Salt to taste



For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil

1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves


Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the chopped cabbage. Saute for a couple of minutes and cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Keep aside.


In a small pan, heat the other teaspoon of oil and add the urad dal. When it turns slightly brown, add the red chillies and fry for a minute. Grind this along with the tamarind paste, salt, and sauteed cabbage.


In a frying ladle, heat the oil for the tempering. Add the mustard. When the mustard splutters, add the asafoetida and curry leaves. Add this to the ground paste.


Happy Rama Navami everyone. I will be making Panakam, Neer Mor, Rama Navami Pachadi and Kadalai Paruppu Sundal. What festive foods are you cooking?



The Singing Chef's turn on Tried & Tasted, this month at Divya's Dil Se. (Thanks for the logo Ksenia).

18 comments:

Harini said...

I am becoming your thogayal fan :)...The zuchini thogayal has now become a hit in my family.... This shall be tonight's dinner...thanks a ton

Pari Vasisht said...

Surely u are a thogayal queen dear.Surely such a quick fix thing and makes the meal complete.

Vidhya said...

Me too. I tried your Zuchini thogayal and came out awesome. This is very much new to me. This is gonna be my next thogayal

Deepa G Joshi said...

hey this looks so delicious..lovely..will try it the next time

www.foodlyrics.com

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

You should be called Thogaiyal Queen. I have never imagined a thogaiyal with cabbage, looks delicious.

Kiran said...

Dear Raaga,
I always like to visit your blog.Cabbage thogayal looks very delicious.I too love to make a chutney out of everything available.I would like to share an award with you,please come and collect it from my blog.
Thanks,
Kiran(http://kiranjay.blogspot.com)

Mints! said...

Hey, I have been following your blog for a while and never commented.

This is a very new recipe for me. I will be making it soon.

Parita said...

Love this version and i totally agree with all the above points, personally i would love to have this with rice and ghee!

Jayashree said...

I make this too....the same way. I didn't make anything for navami....unless you count the chocolate cake that I've posted on my blog.

Unknown said...

Love the color Raaga. Thanks for posting this one!

Unknown said...

Mine is the same method - except for a handful of fresh coconut to grind along with the rest of the ingredients - but the shelf life in my case would be less than yours, due to the coconut

Nithu Bala said...

Dear Raaga, I'm new here..came here from Divya's blog..you got a wonderful space..I'm following you dear..Found one wonderful recipe from you which I'm going to send to Divya's event..drop in at my blog sometime...

Sarah Naveen said...

wow!! this looks so yummy!1loved it..

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

Hi Raaga,

I am new here,jumped from nitu's blog,you got a lovely space...following you...Nice cabbage recipe...

Unknown said...

So creative to make chutney with cabbage. Am receiving some lovely creations you have here in your blog for the event.

Anonymous said...

I made this chutney yesterday and came out good. I had it for lunch yesterday and today for breakfast with dosa. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

s said...

we make the same " pachadi " with a slight variation ...we add tomato . we fry the tomato and the cabbage separately in a little oil as less as 1tsp.
then tamarind , urad , methi seeds and mustard are sizzled together in another kadai.
the tempering is first ground together , then the fried cabbage and tomato is added and pulsed to a chutney like consistency. we also make a capsicum pachadi the same way using capsicum instead of cabbage.

Anonymous said...

I have never thought that I will like this dish. It was pretty awkward at first but it was great.
dining table