Google
 

August 7, 2009

Turai Thuvayal


There are many vegetables I just never bought because I didn’t know how to cook them. For the longest time, I only cooked with the so-called English vegetables. Slowly, over the last couple of years, I have started getting better acquainted with many vegetables. While I have jumped with joy to find even those vegetables that I couldn’t have cared less for in a different avatar, I have started incorporating more local produce. In fact, when I made Tinda Koora, I couldn’t help but think of this post at Nupur's blog. At the same meal, we had this other very south Indian dish made with a very north Indian vegetable. Given my penchant for making thuvayals/thogayals out of every vegetable I can lay my hands on, this comes as no surprise.


4 medium SpongeGourds (Turai/Tori/Mantav Ghashale), scraped and chopped
4 Red Chillies
1 tsp Mustard
3 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
3 tsp Oil
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
Salt to taste



Place the sponge gourd pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Add 2 tbsp of water and cook on high for 2 minutes. Squeeze out the water when cool.


Heat the oil and fry the red chillies, mustard, asafoetida and urad dal for a couple of minutes. Grind the chillies along with the tamarind paste and salt. Add the sponge gourd pieces and grind again. Finally, add the fried mustard and urad dal and grind lightly.



Serve this with rice and a little ghee and some papads or vadams on the side. We ate this with rice, sambar and Tinda Koora.

8 comments:

Indian Khana said...

Hmm so true with me too..this looks yum and my fav all time..love the color

Anonymous said...

Interesting recipe Raaga..helathy as well !

Nupur said...

Turai- is that the same as ridge gourd, what we call dodka in Marathi? It is one of my favorite veggies, and one I can't find here :) so lucky you!

The thuvayal looks incredible.

Raaga said...

@Priti: I love thuvayals too.
@Ann: Thanks
@Nupur: This is very similar to a ridge gourd... just minus the ridges... it is smooth!

Chitra said...

Today i made the same :) looks nice :)

Sunshinemom said...

I have a friend like you here who makes thogayals out of every vegetable. She makes this one too so I know it tastes great. Yours looks a little greener. The serving suggestion is making me drool:)

Miri said...

I love thuvayal in all its endless varieties!!! Ridge gourd especially makes a very nice thuvayal and is certainly a better way of making it rather than as a veggies.

Have you tried fryin the ridge gourd also along with the spices and dals and then grinding it? it makes a for a very nice taste and texture and I sometimes even add a bit of grated coconut at the end for a different taste.

Vaishali said...

The sponge gourd thuvaiyal sounds amazing. And the recipe's so wonderfully simple too.