Google
 

August 11, 2009

Mirchi ki Sabzi




I had this bag of chillies that I have no idea why I bought. My friend suggested that I pick it up so I could make Mirchi ka Salan. The idea seemed nice and all that, but I never did get around to making mirchi ka salan. After all, that dish tastes best with some authentic biryani on the side. Now, I’d think it is an effort to make biryani itself. So, for me to make biryani and then this mirchi ka salan would be a bit much. (It would be easier to go to Hyderabad than to try cooking all that at home, don’t you think?) Though I must admit, I ALWAYS buy these chillies hoping secretly to make salan!



The bag of chillies lay languishing in the crisper until one Saturday afternoon, when I felt really sorry for them and decided to do “something” about them. I decided to cook them in a standard tomato onion gravy. In addition to the Aashirwad Multipurpose cooking paste, I now have access to Maggi Bhuna Masala too. But when I started to make this, I got carried away by different things I saw around me in the kitchen and the resultant dish was nothing like what I’d intended it to be. But it was great tasting nonetheless. I served it with some jeera rice and while I was happy for sure, I had one very happy husband at home that afternoon. The one question he repeated over and over was: I know you experimented, but do you remember what you actually put in this?


250 g Large Green Chillies, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 packet Maggi Bhuna Masala (for gravies)


To be ground to a paste


¼ cup Peanuts, roasted
1 tbsp Sesame seeds, roasted
3 Red Chillies
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
½ tsp Coriander Seeds
Salt to taste


Heat a kadhai and add the contents of the Bhuna Masala. (Alternatively, you could heat some oil and fry 1 chopped Onion, ½ tsp Ginger Paste, ½ tsp Garlic Paste. When the onions are fried, add 1 chopped tomato and fry for a minute or two. Add a little water and make it into a gravy.) Add the chopped chillies and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the ground paste and fry again for 2-3 minutes. Add a little water and bring to a boil.

I am certain this dish would taste as great with rotis as it does with rice.

14 comments:

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks really tasty! Sometimes it's fun to just kind of see where your imagination takes you.

Pari Vasisht said...

hi! The mirchi looks yummy. Have u picked ur awards and tag from my blog?

Indian Khana said...

Looks yum..nice thick gravy...gud combo

Ashwini said...

Yummie, this makes me crave for some Biryani and Salan...sigh!!

sra said...

I or The Spouse would buy this often so he could make Mirchi Ka Salan but they always used to rot before we got down to it. Then once we made bajjis. Then we made salan. That was just two times we used them, out of the many times we bought them.

Divya Kudua said...

Haha...I loved your hubby's comment..:).Often I experiment and make something,but when asked to make it again,I kind of get baffled..:).

Have heard so much about Biryani and Mirch ka Salan..:).I should get myself a packet of Bhuna masala..:)

Parita said...

we used to get this in our office cafeteria with biryani!

ST said...

This looks really delicious and gravy looks rich...

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Never made sabzi with mirchi, wanna try it!

Unknown said...

Looks delicious. Nice combination.

Shammi said...

Since I dont get Maggi Bhuna masala where I live, what spices do you suggest I sub? :)

Raaga said...

Thanks everyone.

Shyam: In he absence of bhuna masala, chop an onion finely and saute it in some oil. Add some ginger and garlic paste. When the onions are fried, add a chopped tomato and saute the mixture until it forms a gravy of sorts.

pelicano said...

I know what you mean about needing biryani to go with mirchi ka salan- with just plain rice it gets a bit monotonous, but still, I hope you get around to making it one day as it is a masterpiece of a dish- rich and roasty-fragrant- well worth the effort. (and definitely best when made the day before a biryani to divide the work!)

But this sauce you made looks really good; that packet looks like its a big time-saver in onion-browning time, and you added a nice touch of richness from the peanut-sesame. *clap clap*

Unknown said...

This looks so yummy...the gravy is so mast...