Google
 

August 20, 2009

Blueberry Cake




Birthdays without cake. To me, it is almost like going through college and not earning a degree at the end of it. There's a certain feeling of incompleteness. There are many people I meet who tell me I should grow up and not worry so much about cake on a birthday. There's no fun in growing up, if it means you have to live without cake, is there?


So, although we returned home after a six hour drive. And although I didn't sleep on the way (and in fact drove along the NH1 for a good bit), and although I had to make dinner after we got home (we were sick of eating out for 3 days), I decided I had to bake a cake before midnight and have S cut it. And he did. (In many ways, it is a good thing I don't have to look at a cookbook for a basic cake anymore!) My regular camera conked out on our trip and I am using this very basic camera now. So, please ignore the bad pictures. (Plus, my hand shook and this camera has no image stabilizer!)



1 cup Flour

1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda

Pinch of Salt
1/2 cup Milk
1/4 cup Oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Dried Blueberries


Preheat the oven to 400F (200 C).

Prepare an 8 inch square cake tin by greasing it and dusting it with flour.

Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a mixing bowl, add the egg, milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla essence. Beat well together. Add the flour mixture to this and blend well. Fold in the blueberries. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife/skewer, inserted into the centre of the cake, comes out clean.

30 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

WOW... cake looks soo soft & delicious.. lovely click!!

Divya Kudua said...

Wow wow wow..you baked a cake after a 3 day journey..??I would be dead tired and would probably order out and probably "postpone" the cake cutting ceremony..;).

I am sure S would have been so happy!!!

I dream of baking a cake without looking at a cookbook someday..:)

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

Luved the way you started, "Birthday without Cake" and then that pic was so tempting! Wow, I can just dream of taking a big bite into that yummy cake!

Bombay Foodie said...

I agree...there can't be a birthday without cake. Where did you find the blueberries?

CurryLeaf said...

Surely B'day without Cake is like Cola without fizz.The cake looks lovely.I did not know that you could get blueberries there.
PS:I too wish I could bake without looking at a book.
I agree with Divya also -I would be deadtired and simply postpone the cake.You are amazing

Pauline said...

Sounds like a not-too-sinful cake! And blueberries in baked goods are always good!

Bergamot said...

Looks lovely... nothing like a simple cake with some tea

Sunshinemom said...

The cake looks scrumptious despite the bad shot, if it was:). Where did you get blueberries at this time?? Kasauli?

Anonymous said...

Din't know that you get blueberries in India?

Priya Narasimhan said...

seeing a cake using oil after along time..bookmarking it, though i will make without the egg..where did you get the dried blue berries here?

Raaga said...

Thank you all for your comments. :-)

Divya: You do lots more than I do... so its OK ;-)

The box of dried blueberries came from the US. I doubt you get fresh blueberries in India.

In many supermarkets here, I have seen dried blueberries... but they cost a bomb... some 300 rupees for a small packet.

Uma said...

cake came out perfect and yummy :)

Priya Suresh said...

Cake looks gorgeous!

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Raaga. The cakes nice and the blueberries must have made the cake 'A class'.Pass on my wishes to S.
I am yet to encourage myself buying that pack of Blueberries which I very fondly admire every time I visit Needs.

Indian Khana said...

Looks nice...gud colour of e cake

FH said...

Thanks for that link who copied my photo and recipe Raga. I have left a comment for that snake, hope she/he will take it outasap.

Going thru' some tough personal stuff right now, will see you next month if I can come back! :)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow the cake is looking awesome..perfectly done.. wish to try it soon.

Swapna said...

I so agree with you...if being grown-up means not caring about having cake for a birthday,I don't think I will ever reach that stage..
Scrumptious looking cake... if I had known, I'd have come visiting :)

sra said...

So you were one driven woman, huh? But I can identify with those feelings - I've done some stuff like that myself, not food-related, though - where I've done everything from scratch at midnite, instead of sleeping ...

Parita said...

Cake looks lovely Raaga, i totally agree with u no cake no birthday :)

Unknown said...

So sweet of u to bake a cake!Have tried only blueberry muffins.sounds scrumptious Raaga!

Unknown said...

I came across your blog and have enjoyed browsing through your recipes. Your cake reminds me of one big blueberry muffin! YUM I wonder how it would taste if you let the dried blueberries soak in water for a bit before adding them.
lovely recipe :)

My Experiments with Food said...

Yummy! I think your post echoes my husband's sentiments as well. He lays prime importance on a cake being present for the birthday :)
Wanted to ask you where you sourced blueberries from. Then I saw the comment.

Red Chillies said...

dear lord, you had the energy to cook dinner and bake a cake after that trip? You are something and please tell S, he is very lucky :-))

Unknown said...

Your cake looks delicious! I cant believe you baked this after a 3 day journey! I sure wouldnt have had the energy to!!! It looks perfect :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

yummy cake .. looks delicious

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Raaga,
Just dropped by to say hi. Yummee a midnight Birthday Cake, how romantic. GREAT job. Hope you got some rest...

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

Yummy yummy cake...wish i could have a slice now...

Nirmala said...

The cake is really rocking. And S sud be really moved. So what did you get as a return treat for this midnight cake ?

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Very belated wishes to your husband. True, nothing like birthday without cake and nakshatra birthday without payasam! :)
I'm finally getting around to reading all the posts I have missed in foodblog world!

I was just going to ask about the blueberries when I saw your comment above.