Google
 

May 23, 2009

Yard Long Beans Curry



Yard Long Beans. This is one vegetable I haven't made up my mind about. I eat it every time it appears on the menu. Wait! I even buy the stuff and cook with it. I have to admit that I don't really like it.


We had a garden patch where this vegetable grew. Known as Alsando in Konkani, Alasandamu in Telugu, Karamani in Tamil and Lobia in Hindi, this vegetable is supposed to have been a favourite of my grandmother's. My mother and most of her sisters love this vegetable. In fact, one of my aunts would make this vegetable for lunch each time we landed at her place by the Brindavan Express. Traditionally, this vegetable is made quite in the same manner as this. Maybe it was sheer overdose that has resulted in my not liking this vegetable as much.


I made it slightly differently and we had it with rotis. I enjoyed the dish and I hope you will too.

2 cups Yard Long Beans, strung, cut into 1" pieces and steamed

1 Onion, chopped

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

1/2 tsp Kitchen King Masala

1 tsp Cumin Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

2 tsp Oil

Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the cumin and asafoetida. When the cumin crackles, add the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the salt, chilli powder, Kitchen King masala and turmeric powder. Mix well and fry for a minute. Add the steamed beans. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.


Serve with rotis or as an accompaniment to rice and dal. If you have a favourite way to eat this vegetable, I'd love to hear from you.

6 comments:

Kalai said...

Looks great, Raaga!

luckysanjana said...

hmm didnt know they were called yard long beans.........lol......perfect name.....i dont like them either but husband can eat them raw...............

Deepthi Shankar said...

we make majjige huli with this & it tastes yum

Unknown said...

Looks really yummy. You have a nice collection of recipes. Nice blog.

Unknown said...

Raaga,
I didn't like this veg as such but once i started self cooking, i started liking it... :0

sorry for deviating from the concept of food blog... i have to tell u and i don't know where...

I was looking for reviews on Foundations as i haven't tried any...i saw ur review about Lakme foundation in mouth shut and decided to buy the same :) ...

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I beg to differ on this one, because we love this veegtable, especially as "mezhukkupurattinathu". :)
Of course, the beans have to be tender and not mature and tough as it sometimes happens. Then its "ugh"!!