Google
 

February 25, 2009

Vegetable Dalia Upma


Tired? Don't feel like making rice/rotis and an entire meal? Here's a quick dish that is light, both physically as well as physiologically. Yes, you guessed it. I am back with another variant of my darling: upma. If you have mixed vegetables in the freezer like I usually do, this meal can be whipped up very quickly.


1 cup Broken Wheat (Dalia)

1 Onion, chopped

1 cup Mixed vegetables, chopped and cooked (I used carrots, peas, potatoes and beans)

1 tbsp Oil

1/2 tsp Urad Dal

1/2 tsp Chana Dal

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves

1 Red Chilli

¼ tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Green Chilli paste

1 tsp Ginger Paste

Salt to taste

Coriander Leaves for garnish


Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the urad and chana dals. When the urad dal begins to brown a little, add the mustard and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, onions, red chilli, ginger and chilli pastes and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the turmeric powder and fry for a minute more. Add the mixed vegetables and the broken wheat and fry the entire mixture for 1-2 minutes. Add 2 cups of boiling hot water and salt to this.


Mix well, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on a low flame.Mix well, garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy it as a snack or a light meal.

15 comments:

Deepthi Shankar said...

thatz a quick fix .. looks delicious

Kitchen Chronicles said...

healthy and quick. I make this very often.

FH said...

Haha! You do love Upmas, don't you? Easy, colorful and with Dalia, healthy too. Looks yum! :)

Cham said...

Upma fan, well only few love it, This one is great super fix !

AnuSriram said...

Looks colourful and yummy!

Sanghi said...

Good dish raaga..! :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

looks yummy..inviting

sra said...

Hi, how are you? This looks kick-ass! My palate's deadened by a bad cold and cough but this pic has me feeling hungry.

Swapna said...

I make this and love it ..:)

Swapna said...

Bought a convection oven.will need some lessons and simple recipes too..

Pavithra Kodical said...

Easy and healthy recipe.Looks delicious.

A_and_N said...

Super fast, I say! Great for breakfast :)

Uj said...

Upma with dalia sounds yummy.. I ma not an upma person but love to have it with veggies in it..

Miri said...

I love upma and I love dalia, but somehow the combination has never enthused me...so I make it like a khichdi for breakfast, saute it with veggies and a bit of moong dal - pressure cook the whole thing together and Yummy breakfast ready!

The bay leaf in your recipe seems like it takes the upma to a really nice level!

CinnamonNChillies said...

Thanks Raaga, I recently hit upon ur blogspot, when I was looking for different Salad varities. I am amazed by the variety of dishes you have under each category.

I added peanuts to this recipe and pressure cooked the dalia instead for 10 minutes along with the vegetables. It turned out great and hubyy liked it for the first time!!