Google
 

July 22, 2008

Vegetable and Corn Chowder


I love soups. At my parents' place, soup and crackers or soup and toast was a dinner staple. My friends and colleagues have mde fun of me endlessly for eating a bowl of soup for dinner. I make soups very rarely here as S is also not for soup alone for dinner. So this is an occasional indulgence. This soup sort of walks the middle path. It is soup, but it is chunky. It pleases both of us.





I found this recipe in the same book (Favorite Vegetarian Dishes) that I found Grilled Garlic Potato Wedges, Garlic And Sage Bread, Pumpkin Soup, Middle Eastern Salad, Potato Mushroom Cakes and Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda. I had to modify it as I didn't have everything the recipe called for.


1 tbsp Oil

1 Onion, chopped

1 Red Pepper, chopped

2-3 cloves Garlic, crushed

1 Potato, diced

2 tbsp Flour

2 cups Milk

1 cup Water

8-10 Broccoli florets

1 cup Corn

1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated

Salt and Pepper to taste


Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, red pepper, garlic and potato. Saute for 2-3 minutes over a low flame. Add the flour and fry for about a minute. Add he milk and water along with the broccoli and corn. Bring this mixture to a boil and then coninue to cook for aout 15-20 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.


I served this with some chunky garlic bread. Recipe coming up very soon.

13 comments:

Richa said...

that sounds so d-lish, raaga! me too very fond of soups :)

delhibelle said...

Wow Raaga! This looks and sounds so very yummy.
You baked garlic bread as well? Double Wow!

FewMinute Wonders said...

A very simple soup to make that looks delicious. Thanks for sharing Raaga.I looking for your garlic bread

Tee said...

I am like you...can survive on soups alone! This soup looks heavenly !

Rajitha said...

seriously..at my home too soups and bread or soemthing was cool too..but with jeeves..if it is soup..there is got to be a veggie sandwich..and all that naatak...yummy soup btw...

Kalai said...

Awesome soup, Raaga! Can't wait for that garlic bread recipe!! :)

TBC said...

I like to have soups too for dinner as long as it is with a substantial salad of some kind or some bread.:)

Divya Kudua said...

Yummy soup Raaga..We too have soups and toast for dinner once in a while!!Got to try yours next!!

Deepa said...

Soup and toasted bread - bring back childhood memories. My mom makes very yummy soups. We do soup and bread too, some evenings. It's balanced. Veggies, whole wheat, milk, and often some lentils go into the soup. Have to wait until winter though - it's salad days now!! It's like 100 degree weather out here. --Deepa (Austin, TX)

Rachel said...

I love soups too with bread.....your soup will be made..without the 10 brocolli florets :))

Priya said...

A bowl of this soup with some toasted bread would be great! I love corn in soups and prefer a non-tomato based soup for them, otherwise the flavor simply gets lost methinks.

Alpa said...

It's raining here and this sounds so good right now. Looks pretty fast to put together too! I agree with Priya, I think corn belongs in non-tomato soups unless of course it's some delicious tortilla soup!

ST said...

Awesome and splendid soup raaga...:))