Google
 

June 20, 2008

Mini Cocktail Appey


I have always loved "minis". Amma used to make us mini chapatis and dosas when we were kids. Then there was this mini idlis in sambar that made waves across all restaurants in Madras. I absolutely love that dish. Even when I bake, I prefer mini cakes to the normal ones. I had some left over batter and we wanted something to go with our cocktails. I didn't want to fry anything and I was short of time as well. These came to the rescue and I know I'll make this when we have friends over too.




1 cup Dosa batter

2 tbsp Gingelly Oil

3 tbsp Idli Molaga Podi


Heat the appey kayli and smear a drop of oil onto each mould. Simmer the flame and pour a teaspoonful of the batter into each mould. Turn after a minute and remove from the mould. Repeat with the remainder of the batter. (The oiling needs to be done only once.)



Heat the oil in a pan. Add the molaga podi. Mix well. Toss the mini appeys in this mixture until each is well coated. Remove from the pan and serve.


This is not exactly a "recipe". But I was thrilled with the results. This is like a cross between molaga smeared mini idlis and appeys. And it served the purpose... very well. So, the next time you're in the mood for a non fried starter, you know where to look.

7 comments:

FH said...

I have cocktail idli stand. Appeys are so cute!! Looks great Raaga.
I didn't what Kutty idli was until I saw Latha's blog, yummy!:))

Anonymous said...

this looks lovely.....

Arundathi said...

i love these. what an easy way to go! always have some dosa batter...so this is perfect.

Unknown said...

I love minis too Raaga..nice idea of adding milagai podi..

Unknown said...

I love minis too Raaga..nice idea of adding milagai podi..

Anonymous said...

Now that's the sort of cocktail party that I can't wait to attend!!

Anonymous said...

i love appes - we call them morappam - the idea of tossing it with molaga podi is wonderful ... those look mouth-watering!