Google
 

March 15, 2008

Ragi Wheat Methi Loaf


I’ve been trying my hand at baking with yeast. But I keep getting these vague ideas that I am so keen on implementing. For instance, ever since my friend brought me Ragi (finger millet) flour from Madras, I’ve been itching to make Ragi bread. I’d once tasted this bread at a small bakery called Ofen at Banjara Hills in Hyderabad.



There’s a twist in this tale though. I had a bunch of cleaned methi leaves in the fridge and wanted to make use of those. We’d eaten quite a bit of the regular methi fare during the winter and I was itching to try something different.


I can’t say this is the best bread I’ve eaten, but it was fairly decent when we had it, toasted lightly, with tea.

Photobucket



1 cup Flour

1 cup Ragi Flour

1 cup Atta

1 cup Water, warm
1 tsp Yeast
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
3/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Fenugreek Leaves, chopped

1 Onion, finely chopped

1 tsp Oil

1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

1/2 tsp Chilli Powder

1/2 tsp Cumin Powder

1/2 tsp Coriander Powder

Salt to taste

Prepare the fenugreek mixture by heating a teaspoon of oil and frying the onions. Add the fenugreek leaves, turmeric, chilli, cumin, and coriander powders along with the salt. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Keep aside.


Take a huge mixing bowl and place the oil, salt in it. Add water and mix until the salt dissolves. Add the yeast and mix well. Add the flours along with the fenugreek mixture and knead into a dough. Place the dough in a greased vessel and cover it with a damp muslin cloth. Allow to rise until double in size (roughly 45-50 minutes).


Knead the dough for a minute and shape into a loaf. Fit this into a greased loaf tin. Allow to rise for another hour or 90 minutes.


Bake at 375 F for about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and then cut into slices.

There, I have another loaf that I can add to my small collection. I am sorry for being irregular here as well as at your blogs. Its the busiest time of the year for me at work and I also have my in-laws visiting me for the first time since we got married. So, getting home at 9 and cooking for 7 people after that leaves me with little time to blog. Don't also forget that the AFAM March is on for another 15 days. Please do send in your entries.

27 comments:

Aspiring Annapoorna said...

Nice loaf there raaga! I must try this sometime, if I get raagi flour at my store

Anonymous said...

babes...just wanted to update you with Ofen...which btw is going to be the first bakery from hyd to go multi location with a branch opening up in b'lore...and they've snagged some of the biggest airlines to supply baked goods...and apparently are the only bakery in india with a couple of international baking quality certifications....how do i know all this?? the owners...are known to us...and was supposed to be a retirment hobby for them....look what life can give you when you think it is time to hang up your boots!! hugs!! take good care!!

Anonymous said...

Bread looks lovely Raaga! Thanks to u i will be trying this yummy looking loaf soon :-) I like the healthy twist to it...

Seema said...

What a twist to Reg bread - More healthy version & yummier too! Good one Raaga.

Kalai said...

What a wonderful, creative idea!! Looks awesome, Raaga! :)

musical said...

Nice ragi bread! Methi must have added another level of zing to the whole thing!

EC said...

you seem to be baking so many new varieties of bread..nice idea of using ragi and methi in it

amna said...

wow that looks lovely. never tried that in ofen:)

Dhivya said...

healthy one:))

Laavanya said...

Ragi and methi must make this a very healthy bread...

Annu said...

Sounds good,Ragi very healthy,nice entry...

zlamushka said...

Raaga,

this is a really nice looking bread. I love all the spices and herbs you use. Yum!

Medhaa said...

love methi, this looks so healthy will have to try this

KayKat said...

Ragi flour in bread? I've never tried that. I'm trying to imagine the texture of this bread, guess I should just make it and find out, huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Miri said...

Wow - now thats a Daring Baker! what an interesting recipe...

Pooja said...

Wow - thats completely new idea to make bread with methi :) .
Lovely idea Raaga.
I will see what can I make with pears.

Sagari said...

thats a healthy loaf raaga

Unknown said...

Hi raaga...that loaf looks so wonderful and healthy...Can I ask you which oven do you use (do you use an OTG)....if yes...then which make....thanks a ton...i am searching for a good OTG

Raaga said...

@Annapoorna: Thanks, do let me know :-)

@Arundati: A very close friend was their head chef too :-)and I've met the owners too.


@MasalaMagic: This is like a meal in one slice :-)

Raaga said...

@Seema, Kalai and Musical: There is this nice twist in the tale :-) Of course, only if you like methi!!

Raaga said...

Thanks all of you. A word of caution though... this bread isn't amazingly tasty and all that... its just about nice :-)

@Supriya: I have a Samsung Microwave oven with convection and grill... I don't have space for a separate OTG :-)

Sig said...

I have no idea what Ragi tastes like... looks good though...
Hey, I bought so many pears ever since you announced AFAM, and I have been eating them raw... haven't cooked anything in days! But I will get it in before I leave, okay? :)

Raaga said...

Sure Sig... I've been doing the same thing!! Bought 3 varieties of pears only to eat them all raw :-)

Meera said...

What an awesome bread. A great way of using ragi flour. Bookmarked!

Lakshmi said...

I love ragi biscuits, your ragi bread looks tempting!! Healthy one with methi etc.. well you had a query on my blog about sago. It is not possible to make popcorn with ordinary sago available in the market. You can easily buy them in Bangalore in gandhi bazzar areas where they sell chakli, nippattu etc

Anonymous said...

HI! RAAGI,

I LOVE UR ALL POST BUT SPECIALLY THE BUNS & RAGI WHEAT METHI LOAF. PLZ I'M VERY CURIOUS DO U BAKE EVERYTHING IN MICROWAVE OVEN IN COVECTION MODE LIKE BUNS & BREAD LOAF OR IN MICRO.

WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY.