Google
 

January 21, 2008

Piyava Baje (Onion Fritters)




Every once in a while, I make something that is deep fried. As an afternoon snack on a weekend. As an accompaniment to a meal when I don't feel like making a vegetable. But the times are few and far between. So, when we do have something like this, it is truly a treat.


This is something I grew up with. The occasional Sunday lunch was accompanied by stuff like this
. I made this many months ago as part of lunch as I was too lazy to make a side dish. I have been meaning to post it since and I discovered it in my drafts just today. In time for the Jihva For Ingredients: Onion being hosted by Radhika of Radhi's kitchen.



1 cup Onions, sliced
1 tsp Green Chilli paste
1 tsp Ginger paste
1/2 cup Gram flour (Besan)
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
Oil for frying



Heat the oil in a kadhai.

In a vessel, mix all the other ingredients together without adding any water. Drop spoonfuls of this mixture into the hot oil and fry till reddish brown.

Drain on absorbent paper and serve with tomato ketchup or with some rice and dal.

In addition to sending this to the JFI event, I am also sending this to Mansi for her game night party event.

14 comments:

Revathi said...

yummy, yummy. nice treat for eyes too. Can I have that w/ some thengai chutney and samber please?

BTW, never got to make muffins, did not have time to buy the baking pan....soon I will BAKE!

Sig said...

yumm yummm yummm... I would sooo love a plate... I miss fried stuff :(

Raaga said...

Well Revathi, the pan is usually the stumbling block... sure, I'll send some of these over :-)

Sig: Just come over and I'll serve you a plate of hot bajes :-)

amna said...

how did you get that wonderful color?

Rajitha said...

as nags said..how did u get the lovely color and the bajes look soo good...it is cold here..it would be just awesome :)

Raaga said...

Nags & Rajitha: The colour comes from frying... no added colour... try it :) my mom also got the same colour.

Its terribly cold here too... wish I had a plate of that now!!

FH said...

Hello Raaga, it snowed here yesterday.I would love some of those!:))

Suganya said...

Vengaya pakoda? I second Revathi. Some chutney and sambar, please.

Laavanya said...

Vengaya bajji is my absolute favorite.. love that color Raaga! :)

TBC said...

Love onion bajjis with a hot cup of ginger tea.

Viji said...

Onion fritters are inviting for this cold weather Raaga. Viji

Cynthia said...

I love onions, I'm gonna try these.

Mansi said...

Great!! I love eating this with my tea...thanks a lot Raaga, perfect for game night:)

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: Come over... I'll make some for you.

@Suganya: The more the merrier.

@Laavanya: Looks like its everyone's favourite. :)


@TBC and Viji: Totally apt for this weather. I wish I had some now.

@Cynthia and Mansi: Do try it... you'll love it :-)

Thanks girls :-)