Google
 

August 9, 2007

Strawberry Trifle Pudding





There are days when you set out to make something and you end up making something else. And then there are those days when you want to make something, but you're not quite sure what that is. S's birthday was one of those days for me. I knew I was going to make a nice cake. I knew I would have some portions of cake. But I had no idea what to do with them.


A long time ago, I had made chocolate rum balls with cake leftovers. But chocolate cake, chocolate balls. That would have been a little too much for us to take. I wanted to make a layered dessert. After seeing Meeta’s Strawberry Mirror Cake, I wanted whatever I was making to have a strawberry jelly layer on top.


But halfway through the exercise, I changed my mind and created my own trifle pudding. I mean if those guys at restaurant buffets can serve me anything in the name of Trifle, why can I not cheat myself?





Ingredients:


2/3 cup Cake slices

5 tbsp Strawberry Crush (I used Mapro)

2 tsp Gelatin

3 tbsp Strawberry Custard Powder

3/4 cup Milk

2 tsp Sugar


Arrange the cake slices in a baking dish. Pour 2 tbsp of Strawberry Crush over them and bake for 15 minutes at 350F.


In a small bowl, mix the custard powder with about 2 tbsp of milk. Bring the rest of the milk to boil with the sugar. Add the custard powder misture to the boiling milk while stirring continuously. Boil this for a minute and set aside. After 5 minutes, pour this mixture over the cake slices and allow to set in the fridge for an hour


Dissolve the gelatin in a little warm water and add this to 2/3 cup of boiling water. Add the remaining strawberry crush and
mix well.

Pour this jelly over the custard cake mixture and allow to set for a couple of hours in the fridge.


Cut into slices and serve. I had some left over jelly which I froze. I enjoyed my trifle with the frozen jelly pieces.


Why did my pudding not turn out the way I'd expected? Because I didn't wait for the custard to set fully before pouring the hot jelly over it. But that did nothing to affect the taste. S isn't too fond of jellies so I've been treating myself to a little slice every 2 days.

22 comments:

SeeC said...

You have lot of ideas with leftovers :)
Shows your interest and patience.

Raaga said...

Thanks SeeC. But patience will never be counted as one of my virtues :-)

TBC said...

Pretty Pink Pudding!:-)

Suma Gandlur said...

That's a new kind of trifle from a creative cook, I guess.

FH said...

OMG!! Looks at that pretty color! Raaga,you are making me cook the desserts again!:)

Laavanya said...

I've always wanted to try trifle pudding! Yours has a pretty, pink hue and that's a neat idea to use the leftover cake.

Sig said...

Hey, what a neat way to use up leftover cake... :) Love the colors...

Bong Mom said...

Thats a lovely colour

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Oh wow !! I never tried this type of trifle. Nice pics

Sharmi said...

that looks so vibrant! where on the earth are you getting so much time to make all this:)

Anonymous said...

ooohhh lovely. and very smart too. :) :)

- mythili

Neelam said...

Wow thats a smart way to use up the leftover cake! The pink colour looks oh so beautiful!

Raaga said...

@TBC: At first I wanted to name it Pink Fantasy or something like that... then I thought it'd be way too cheesy :-) Thanks :-)

Raaga said...

@Suma: Thanks :-) If this makes for a creative cook, I'll gladly accept the title :-)

Raaga said...

@Asha: You initiated me with almost every meal you put up having some dessert :-) We have to wait for some occasion to make desserts... with 2 kids in the house, you can do it more often :-)

Raaga said...

@Laavanya: I am not even sure of this really is trifle :-) but its got fewer calories and fat than what may really qualify as that :-) Its the colour that is so tempting each time I open the fridge. The perils of working from home!!

Raaga said...

@Sig: Thanks. Even I am surprised that something I made can look so good in a picture :-)

Raaga said...

@Sandeepa: Thank you :-)

@Vanamala: This is a super easy one to try and I think you can even make it cake slices that you get in the market.

Raaga said...

@Sharmi: This I made on S's birthday. I am just posting it late. But now I get some 3 hours extra in a day that otherwise went in traveling by DTC bus :-) Thank you.

Raaga said...

@Mythili: Thank you.

@Neelam: Thanks. Yes, you don't know where the cake went :-)

Raaga said...

Thanks to all of you girls. The comments that you leave encourage me and leave me so enthused.

Hugs

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Raaga, nice recipe I love strawberries :)