Google
 

July 21, 2007

Egg Bhurji



Perhaps, the Indian cousin of scrambled eggs. This one, though, has no resemblance to the popular breakfast dish. Eggs, paneer and soya always come in handy when I am hard pressed for time.

Egg bhurji is one of the few egg dishes available in most restaurants and I've eaten this at restaurants and dhabas in Hyderabad. When one vegetarian and one non vegetarian go out for dinner, egg is usually what ends up on the table. Satisfies both! My friend and I used to eat out a lot in Hyderabad and that's where I rediscovered this dish that I'd probably eaten once before when a classmate brought it in her dabba at school.

Continuing with my Eating out while eating in series, I made egg bhurji. The earlier ones in this series being Kothu Roti, French Bread Pizza, Macaroni and Potato Wedges.


Ingredients:
1 Eggs
1 Onion, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped (optional)
1 tsp Green Chilli Paste
1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Kitchen King Masala
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste
1 tsp Oil
Chopped Coriander for garnish

Heat the oil in a kadhai or a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onion and fry till the pieces turn translucent. If using the tomato, add now and fry for 2-3 minutes.

Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilli powders and fry for another minute. Add the ginger and chilli pastes and salt and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the Kitchen King Masala and fry for a minute. This is one of my entries to the
RCI: Punjabi Cuisine which is being guest hosted by Richa of As Dear As Salt.

Break the eggs into the onion spice mixture and whisk thoroughly. Allow the mixture to cook for a few minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy it with rotis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garnish it with Finely Chopped Corriander Leaves... Smells heavenly.

Raaga said...

I'm out of coriander leaves... which is why most of my dishes don't have the garnish these days... the way some of my older ones do :-)