Google
 

July 14, 2007

Coriander Rice (Version 2)



On some days I crave things. Things that are unknown to me. There's a taste in my mouth that I want and I have no idea what dish I want. Fortunately for me, the last time happened was on a weekend. So I had time to think about what I might be craving and about what ingredients may go in to the making of that.


The result of this craving and the experiment that followed was a wonderful, aromatic coriander rice.


Ingredients:

1 cup Basmati Rice, washed
To be ground to a paste:

1 bunch Coriander Leaves, destemmed and cleaned
1 Onion
2-3 pods of Garlic
2" piece of Ginger
2-3 Green Chillies
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt to taste

For the tempering:

2 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
Juice of one lime


Heat the oil in a pressure pan. Add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and fry for another minute or two. Add two cups of hot water. Cover and cook for 1 whistle.
When done, open the cooker. Add the lime juice. Mix the rice lightly with a fork. Enjoy with papads or vadams.

3 comments:

archana said...

Recipe is nice and the rice is looking green and delicious. I get such cravings quite often :)

Raaga said...

Thanks Archana... this makes for a quick indulgence!

Chitra said...

Lovely recipe. Made it for dinner last night and a BIG hit :)