Google
 

May 26, 2007

Spinach and Corn Rice


I was commenting to my friend, Prajakta, about how I'm always looking for lunchbox recipes that are easy to prepare and are tasty and nutritious at the same time. She, a hotel management grad and a long time friend, gave me this recipe. I tried it twice so far and it was wonderful. I took this picture as I was packing our boxes.

S is for Spinach and this is one of my entries to Nupur's A-Z of Indian Vegetables.

I make pureed Spinach whenever I have the time and store it for future use. I usually wash the leaves and cook them in the microwave for 5-8 minutes. When they are cooked, I blend them in a liquidizer.


Ingredients:


1 cup Spinach puree
1 cup Basmati Rice, washed and drained
1 cup Sweet Corn
1 Onion, sliced
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Garlic Paste
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a pressure pan. Add the asafoetida and the cumin seeds. When the seeds splutter, add the sliced onions and fry for a while. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and the dry spices and fry a little. Add the corn and the spinach puree. Add the rice and 1 1/4 cup of hot water. Add salt to taste.


Pressure cook for 2 whistles or 10 minutes on a low flame. Enjoy this rice with jeera raita or plain curd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very nutritious.. I will try this..
Jyoti

Chitra said...

just made this. tastes yum :-)
Thank you